Kilmory Public Hall was built in the early 1930s by public subscription and volunteer labour to serve the communities in and around Kilmory village. It was officially opened in 1934.
Since then it has hosted dances, whist drives and beetle drives, sales of work, jumble sales and plant sales, badminton, dance, keep fit and yoga classes, concerts and other entertainments, and been a regular meeting place for toddlers and parents, the local young people and the elderly – a true centre of local life and activity.
By the 1990s it was found to need major structural work and an ambitious plan was formed to re-roof the Hall, whilst adding a purpose built bunkhouse to the building in order to have a source of income to secure the future of the Hall for the community.
With financial support from the community, the Lottery Fund, North Ayrshire Council, Argyll & the Islands Enterprise, the Lloyds TSB Foundation and The Co-operative Group, and dedicated hard work by volunteers once again this project was achieved and Kilmory Public Hall and Lodge Bunkhouse was officially opened in 2005 by Lord Jack McConnell (then the First Minister for Scotland).
In 2013, continuing in its role as a centre for the social life of the community, the 1934 Club was founded, providing a regular meeting place for residents, and a home for the local pool team. This has proved very popular and the Club now organises many of the social events for locals of all ages, as well as providing off-site bar services. Several wedding celebrations have also been held at the Hall.
In 2016 the Lodge Bunkhouse was renamed Kilmory Haven to reflect more clearly what we can offer our guests and visitors. 2017 saw the opening of the Wee Bite Café, expanding the appeal of the Hall to visitors and locals alike, and helping to fund this valuable local resource.
Why not come and visit us at the Haven and see what its all about?